Wildcrafted herbs are grown in the wild just like the name suggests. They are completely natural and no GMOs, herbicides, or pesticides are used on these types of herbs. All the nutrients present in the herb remain intact and the plants are not gassed or irradiated. Wildcrafted plants are also stronger because they are resilient in the wild. And when a plant works harder, they produce more constituents and can be called a super plant.
What are certified organic products? Are they actually safe?
It can be said that certified organic is one of the strictest standards in the world because it focuses on some of the most important rules when it comes to farming- no antibiotics or synthetic hormones or pesticides or GMOs are used. The certifiers are independent bodies who are accredited by particular organizations (for example- USDA) so that they can conduct organic inspections in an unbiased manner. If any farm violates the standards, it will lose the organic certification which is a huge financial loss.
But all organic products are not created equally. Farms run based on individual people and their personal beliefs. Some farmers avoid using plastic, many want to reduce their dependence on fossil fuels, and there are many other scenarios. However many occurrences take place in the industry today which has prevented the organic industries to be what they were before, where every step of the food chain was organic. Every ingredient was organic.
For example, there have been cases where factory milking operations do not raise their own calves and rather purchase cheap conventional cattle who have been raised on medicated milk replacer. This includes antibiotics and other substances which have been banned.
However, reports say that there is a misconception that no pesticides are applied in organic farming. Many pesticides are allowed in organic farming. So they are not exactly pesticide-free. So the fancy terms used in the organic industry like “free-range”, “hormone-free”, ” natural ” do not exactly meet the product is organic.
What are the risks related to synthetic pesticides, herbicides, genetically modified seeds, and chemical residue on our health and environment?
The first and the foremost effect that pesticides have on the environment is that they can cause air pollution. Because most of them are applied in the form of powder and can be transported by the wind to different regions. Many surveys have been able to throw light over the fact that the production of pesticides has been discovered in groundwater and rain which has also led to the death of aquatic life.
When humans come in contact with pesticides and herbicides, it can lead to chronic diseases and there may be many symptoms like coughing, sore throat, irritation in eyes and skin, nausea, diarrhea, headaches feeling weak, and death in the worst-case scenario. Genetically modified seeds and food can cause many adverse health effects like allergic reactions, cancer, and more. Studies are still going on regarding the drawbacks they have on the environment and human health.
11 Benefits of wild harvesting.
- You will be able to observe many herbs in their natural habitat.
- The nutritional content of these plants is incredible.
- Wild harvesting herbs will help you to grow your own herbs and harvest the fresh produce to use for cooking.
- Wild harvesting herbs will allow you to grow some special herbs that are not always available in the market.
- Many herbs contain medicinal properties which will be of great help when you discover them. Wild harvesting herbs will help you come across some incredible medicinal herbs.
- Wild harvested herbs can also be preserved for using them later on and keeping them available.
- You will be able to reduce your carbon footprint since no large vehicles for storage facility and packaging is required.
- Wild harvesting medicinal herbs can make you self-dependent and help you survive rough conditions.
- Wild harvesting herbs like borage, red clover, dandelion, and violet can act as a refreshing and tasty addition to your salads.
- Wild harvesting herbs can improve your health conditions. For example, nettle can act as a kidney tonic and also a blood purifier.
- You will be able to save money by getting more nutrition from these rather than from the food available in the grocery stores.
Enjoy nature’s free gift of food and the different nutritional and medicinal benefits for your health and the environment.